Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Dreamland is closed!

Dreamland closed its doors for good a few days ago. I didn’t practice any of the attractions, the pirate boat would made me sick, I was scared by the big wheel and too big to ride the bumping cars which I enjoyed a lot when I was young. So why am I, somehow, feeling sad? I do feel sad because this place was a real land of dreams for the kids. I went there a few times, with students from the center I am in charge of, with some orphans from Kompong Thom who I love dearly, and even with some little beggars who live near my house. Each time, it has been a real pleasure to see the eyes of these children shining with happiness. Four to six hours spent in that place have always been like a break in their everyday lives, and in mine too. For these poor kids, with sometimes difficult lives, a visit in that magic place will be engraved in their minds for the rest of their lives. Going there was just like doing something exceptional, it was making them feel important. So, even if it sounds silly, yes, I feel sad.