Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Why have I opened a little library in a poor workers place in Phnom Penh?

Reading a story...
A few weeks ago I opened a little library in a workers’ place near the Toul Sangkae market. I rent a little room, and I managed to find the sponsors to buy 300 books. Would you like to know more about my motivations to do so? Here they are. First I came to Cambodia as a volunteer to help poor people. But the question is:  how do we do to help? For me, the best way is to help through education. Factory workers in Phnom Penh are poor people who come from the provinces to the capital to find a better future. They have no access to books and yet, reading is one of the best ways to improve your knowledge and therefore have a better future. This is true at all ages, but even more for children of course. I am very happy to welcome the workers’ children to help them discover the joys of reading. But my main motivation is different even though I am happy to share my passion for books. I can see that a lot of these poor people do not believe in themselves, are not confident enough. I wish to let them know that their life is priceless and that they deserve happiness. I find Khmer people really endearing, and I am so happy to be in Cambodia that it is important for me to do something with them, to spend time with them. I do something useful and it makes me so happy, life is great when you try to share it!




To know more about that library, please follow this link :
http://citeouvrierekh.canalblog.com/